Wednesday, March 14, 2012

First week here, I miss home.

 Flight was loooong, but the girls are good flyers.  They just sleep or hang out.  I am not looking forward to that flight again or the jet lag.  We spent Sunday (the first day) sleeping, looking at our town home and driving to the local 7-Eleven to buy milk (the store bears no resemblance to those in the US, not a slurpee in sight).  Lily was sad when the Cheetos she bought tasted "different".   We ordered Dominos Pizza, tastes like it does at home.

Monday, we went to a mall.  It was "fancy".   There is a grocery in the lower level, but I didn't care for it, not enough western products.  We stopped at Starbucks and the girls had a treat.  They are getting a lot of treats these days, trying to keep them happy.  More sleeping.

Tuesday was spent at IKEA.  The girls picked out beds and desks, we will need to go back to complete their rooms.  They ended up switching their rooms once they got here and both could not be happier.  Once again, we passed out around 2pm.  I tried to wake the girls around 5pm, literally like waking the dead.  We have been waking up around 2am every night.  Thankfully, Paul insisted we set up Slingbox
(a way to watch American television) and the girls have been watching a lot of TV in the middle of the night.

Wednesday, IKEA delivered and assembled the girls furniture.  The girls LOVE their rooms!  Emma slept in her room for the first time last night.  Once we have all their stuff, I will post photos.  After IKEA left, we went to the girls new school so the girls could meet teachers and have a tour.  Emma met a few girls in her class, can you believe they were taller than Emma!  Lily is afraid she is going to get lost, it is a big school.  They will start next Monday.  This is the first day that we didn't take a nap!  Progress.  I actually made dinner last night.  Don't get too excited......it was all done in the microwave.  We had "Johnsonville" cheddar brats and steamed potatoes & carrots.  It actually tasted really good!

Thursday.  Today was going to be the day the girls and I were going to walk around the neighborhood and explore.  It is the first sunny day we've had since we got here (rain, rain, rain).  Instead, we woke up to plumbing issues.  Last night the kitchen sink was very slow to drain....hmmmmm.  This morning, the main floor toilet wouldn't flush and the urinal overflowed when Paul flushed it (yes, Paul has a urinal....he is overjoyed!)  Upon further inspection, we found water leaking through a light fixture in the basement, there is water on the floor.  Soooooo, no using toilets, sinks or showers.  If this does not get resolved, we may end up in a hotel today.


Good bye, friends......miss you!



This is just our checked luggage, we had a huge pile for our carry-ons as well.




My first homemade dinner, impressive huh?



I am not happy.......won't be the first time.  I am at the mercy of other people trying to solve my issues.  I don't know how to navigate in this town yet, I might even get lost walking out my front door.  I want to find a grocery store that I can shop in and find some of what I am looking for.  Just thinking about reestablishing everything is overwhelming me...........all of this makes me really miss home.

No comments:

Post a Comment