Monday, March 26, 2012

Shock and Awe?

Hey.......what I saw on my walk on Sunday.  I finally had a moment to myself.  I went walking at 9 am Sunday morning, I thought it would be a very quiet morning, was I wrong.  Everyone is out on Sundays.  I found a park where many people were gathered to walk and exercise.  I even found a path that was for reflexology (points in the feet referring to other points in the body), it was a very rough, rocky path that you were supposed to walk barefoot.  I just wandered around the park and neighborhood ( I wanted to take a lot of pictures of the park, but I felt very conspicuous taking photos with people in them ), I found my way back home after an hour.

Costco was a trip.  We got there at 9:45, they open at 10:00.  The store was already packed with shoppers......they probably broke the door down.  I saw only 1 other "westerner" there.  There was a combination of asian and american products.  Very random.  Even if you do find american products, most of them have chinese labels, it is very frustrating for a label reader like myself.  With my diabetes, I need to know the carbohydrate count of all the food I eat.  I suppose I will be learning the chinese character for carbohydrate pretty soon.  We spent far too much money there, but when you see products that are from "home", you just can't help buying them.

I am finding out that I will never be able to do all of my grocery shopping in one store.  You never  know what you will find, you can't plan specifically any meal, its all based on luck.  Tonight I will be making tacos.   I think I spent $30.00 on ingredients between 2 or 3 stores......is that a lot?  Most nights we are going without dinner, we are not in the mood and can't figure out what to eat.  I did find 2 extremely small import stores.  When you are craving pop-tarts, you might find them.  Only place I found walnuts...real mayonnaise too.

The girls have gone to school for a week.  Lily has been really enjoying it.  She comes home from school and tries to teach me Mandarin.  Emma has had a rougher start.  A few times this past week she has refused to go to school, I still made her go....that was hard.  By Friday, she was better.  She has made a friend and has invited her to come over and play ( the taller girl in blue under the ball hoop).  I think there are just too many changes for her to absorb right now.


We have been to the American Club a few times.  I thought it might be a haven for us.....nope.  It is a club with a pool, gym, hair salon, market, many restaurants, tennis courts, etc.  The food is terrible and rarely do I see an "American".


This is the playground at the American Club.  The Grand Hotel, a beautiful, huge,  chinese temple style hotel is in the background.

















This last week I went out to lunch with a gal from Steiner Ranch and a few of her friends.  Nice, but at this point no "connections".  I have also been led around town by another gal.  She has given me a lot of info.......hard to remember all the places she has pointed out to me.  Actually, most everyone I have met has said, "if you have any questions or need anything, just ask".  What I really want to ask is, "where do you find friends?"  I have also been to a PTA meeting, joined the local gym (hired a personal trainer so I will for sure go), and am trying out a free class  at a yoga studio.  I may go biking with a group on Wednesday on the west coast of Taiwan, will let you know if I go.


Yesterday, Lily got her wish.  We went to the top of Taipei 101.  Super crowded, just a tall building....woo hoo.  But, Lily loved it.  While standing in line ( there were many lines ), an old lady kept fawning over Lily.  I had no idea what she was saying, but she sure liked Lily.



Lily spying Taipei 101 around every corner on our walk to the building.



I think our neighborhood is between the first low green hill and the mountain (under the buildings curly cue)

Another view from Taipei 101, very mountainy, not city.

A gentleman who makes sugar animals and puts them on a stick for really cool suckers, very talented!

The girls are off school for half of this week and all of next week for spring break.  Will need to find something to do.  Paul is in China this week........kind of weird to be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment